Search This Blog

Saturday, March 21, 2020

Mama...Post 1

   Sunday Feb 9th 2020
I crashed into bed at 9:30p.  Jason was at work, all the little kids were in bed, I couldn't stay awake anymore.  @12:30am my phone started ringing, I thought it was my alarm. It sounds the same. I  turned my alarm off, and then it started again immediately. I was totally confused.  I looked at the phone half asleep trying to figure out what going on...and saw the time.  I realized it was Corinne calling.  This can't be good news. "Mom's had a stroke, she's on the way to the hospital..."  -I'm awake...and there was no sleeping after that..within minutes of the call, Michael woke up sick...fever, cough, sore throat.

In her words...Mom had been sitting in her wheelchair at her computer desk typing an email when her arm stopped working.  She had been a bit forward in her chair and went to try and stand up so she could sit further back and she slid down to the floor -no power on her left side.  Luckily she had the phone tucked in her bra and she had enough strength on on her right side to still function.  She knew she was having a stroke but she didn't want the EMT's to bust down her door, so she called Darrell to see if he could bring a key.  He was on a Stand-up Flight in CA so he told mom to call 911 and then he called Tami to see if she could bring a key to the house. She was half asleep trying to fumble around in the truck to find the key. She realized "This is Stupid...bust down the stupid door"  And headed to mom's.

Meanwhile, (thankfully!) Brodie and Nicole had heard over the dispatch of a possible stroke victim at Mom's address.  Nicole told Brodie to get over there.  He had been able to see her in the office on the floor through the porch window, when Tami showed up, he was at the back door on the phone with dispatch asking for a specific truck to be able to get the door down.  But Tami just told him to bust it and threatened that if he wasn't going to kick in the door, she was going through the window.  With a little hip-bump he was able to get it...(nice security mom...)  Brodie was able to be with mom all the way to the hospital. -She appreciated it so much!  It was such a comfort to her to have him in the ambulance with her and taking care of her.

Kenny, Corinne and Tami stayed at the hospital all night with mom.  I wanted to be there...I was up all night getting updates from the family on her prognosis and taking care of Michael.

The next day, Darrell and Tami were able to get me on a buddy pass flight.  I was at the hospital by 8:30pm that night. 





   

No comments: